Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Thank you for calling, how may I help you?"

Last post: over a year ago. Oops.
Considering how my life basically consists of just working, sleeping, eating, and the occasionally outing, I figured it'd be good for me to write about my work recently. Since my last post I quit my job at the dollar theater and got a job at the Nu Skin Call Center as a Sales Support Representative (Spanish Speaking). I know it's not related to my field of study in film, but it's a temporary and necessary sacrifice for a goal in the near future (more on that soon).

I started June 4th, 2012. Boy does time goes fast. I was skeptical of applying for that particular job since 1. I hate talking on the phone and 2. I hate sales. And yet I've been there a year. Most of the time the calls are non-stop, the calls get to be hours long, and yet... I've managed. That goes to show ME that I can do anything I set my mind to. I must say it's been rewarding though. My people skills have been sharpened, I've actually met several goals (both work related and personal), and probably my favorite thing about the job (aside from the pay) is getting to talk to people from all over. Even though I handle the Latin American markets of Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia and Argentina, I occasionally get calls from those countries by people that are from somewhere else like China, Japan, Korea, Germany, etc. I love diversity.



I first began just working in the sales department, but then I got trained in Shipping. I heard horror stories of disgruntled customers, angry cussing distributors, slow service, and the gnashing of teeth! I did not look forward to that at all! However, after working in Shipping for quite a while, I actually slightly prefer it over Sales. I'm the kind of person that enjoys challenges, and that's what shipping is all about.

- "Where is my order!?"
- "I don't know yet but let me figure it out."

- "I'm missing products!"
- "Let me see what I can do to fix it."

Sometimes it's simple to fix, but sometimes it is a complex puzzle that requires Operations Analysts, Supervisors, Managers, etc. After so much work, stress, tears and sweat (sometimes not an exaggeration) it gives me great satisfaction to inform the caller, "You're issue has been solved. Here's the information of the solution." I'm a sucker for puzzles.

Then some time later I get trained in the U.S. and Canada markets. I about wanted to throw a tantrum "No more!" Again I heard horror stories of customers that have been spoiled by great customer service in the U.S. and have the highest of unachievable expectations. Not only that, but I had to be trained for a whole new ordering system! After some time, I got used to it. It's not at all horrible. It's actually easier and faster. And the people that call are not bad at all. It's like that new dish that you think you wouldn't like, but end up ordering again and again after you try it.

Aside from all that, the perks are just about the cherry on top. Occasionally the company will treat us with food stuff, tickets to the movies, quarterly and end-of-year bonuses (which result in tears of joy), fun events, generous Christmas gifts, and some free products for personal use.

Recently I applied for and was offered a full-time position. The idea of having 9 hour shifts on the phone is scary, but if there's something I've learned is that I can do it. I've also set a personal goal of not just doing ok or the minimum to get by, but putting my best effort and going the extra mile. It's not always sunshine and peaches, and it's not always thunder and horror. It's what I make of it, and let's just say... I am ready to rumble.

No comments: